Author: Yvonne Cornell
- 1 cup fresh elderberries or ½ cup dried elderberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 3 whole cloves (optional)
- ½ - ¾ cup honey, agave or simple syrup to taste
- Place elderberries, water, cinnamon stick and cloves in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a fine sieve over a large bowl, pressing juice from berries with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Discard the remaining pulp. Let the juice cool. Stir in honey or chosen sweetener to taste until thoroughly combined. Transfer to lidded jars. Take daily spoonfuls for health or pour liberally over pancakes and waffles. Keeps in refrigerator for 3 months (longer depending on sugar content. Do the sniff test.).
Recipe by Yvonne Cornell at https://yvonnecornellphoto.com/2015/06/22/just-a-spoonful-of-elderberry-syrup/